The Subject Matter Expert involvement in a project will be variable based on the project schedule and required workload and the availability. The project is a collaborative effort that includes the design of learning content, assessments, and other additional learning resources. You must have a minimum of a Master’s Degree. Higher Education teaching experience, as well as previous experience in developing online courses for students, would be preferred.
- Master’s Degree required
- 3-5 years curriculum development experience required
- 3-5 years Higher Education level teaching background preferred
The SME assignments are contract positions that are part-time, temporary or on an as-needed basis only. The SME is a remote project-based, 1099 contractor position.
Intercultural Communication exposes learners to the principles of intercultural communication to advance their efforts to understand and attribute meaning to communicative behaviors among different cultures and social groups. Learners study communication and culture, intercultural messages, the role of context in intercultural communication, the impact of culture on one’s identity, and communication style. Learners master the practical skills necessary to improve one’s intercultural communication competence in an international world.
Subject Matter Expert Assignments: Online Course Development
- Content Creation for the topic listed above. The content elements for each topic will include
- Introduction to the topic
- List of Readings and Resources
- Lecture content that maps to the learning objectives listed under each topic heading.
- Lecture notes that will be uploaded on LMS.
- Relevant article or video links
- Highly engaging and highly interactive content of approximately 1hr 15mins of learning/seat time. Simulations may need to be developed to meet the requirement of highly engaging and highly interactive content.
- 15-20 questions with answers. The questions could be multiple choice, true/false, short answer question * Discussions and rubrics for discussions
- Assignments and rubrics for assignments
- Quizzes for student assessment
- 1 Project
- Target audience will include varied age group. This is ideally meant for people who would like to prepare themselves to join the workforce. Audience can include jail inmates who want to get back t regular mainstream life and hence join workforce.
- Content should be original. A very minimal percentage (10-15%) of content can be taken from open educational resources. Citations will be required wherever applicable.
Content creation process will be:
- SME provides the content as detailed above.
- Instructional designers (ID) review the content and share their feedback along with queries if any.
- SME addresses ID’s feedback and queries. A few iterations may be required to take the content for next step.
- IDs then create storyboards for the interactive content element and share with SMEs for review and approval.
- SMEs are responsible for ensuring the content is adequately covered with appropriate complexity level for the target audience and that the content is technically accurate. Therefore, SMEs need to review the content edits by IDs to ensure that IDs have not introduced technical inaccuracies.
- After the storyboard is approved by SME, the storyboard may be shared with client. If client has any comments on the storyboard, SME and IDs will need to work on the storyboards to address the client’s comments. 2-3 iterations may be required to get client’s approval.
- After the Storyboard is approved, our production team will develop the module into an online module output and share with SME for review.
- SME will review the output again for technical accuracy and general flow of content. They will notify to the IDs if any corrections are required.
- After the output is approved by SMEs, the module will be shared with client.
- Any feedback from the client will need to be addressed until we receive client’s approval. Approval may take up to 2-3 iterations with the client.
Skills and Competencies
- Subject Matter Experts are expected to be reliable and committed to the project from start to completion.
- Ability to design and develop high-quality learning content, assessments, and modules based on specific project guidelines.
- Available to meet weekly with our Curriculum and Instruction team during the design and development stages.
- Ability to meet specific due dates and deadlines and communicate on a frequent (sometimes daily basis).
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to effectively and proactively communicate any challenges, issues, questions, or risks of the project.
- Orientation will be provided to explain the overall development workflow.
Job Type: Contract